Summer Playwrights Festival 15 Submission Info
THE ROAD THEATRE COMPANY
Taylor Gilbert and Sam Anderson Present
The 15th Annual SUMMER PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
- SPF15, one of the Largest Playwright’s Festivals in the country, welcomes playwrights at all levels of their careers!
- Accepting submissions Tuesday, January 2, 2024 through Thursday, February 15, 2024.
- Now in its 32nd season THE ROAD THEATRE COMPANY and TaylorGilbert, Founder/Artistic Director together with Sam Anderson, Artistic Director, remain committed to our meaningful mission to produce and develop new work for the stage. We are thrilled to announce that the play submission process is now open for new and diverse plays to be considered for our Summer Playwrights Festival.
- Founding Artistic Director, Taylor Gilbert: “We can’t wait to open The Road to new theatrical Travelers. Making 2024, The Road Most Traveled!”
SUMMER PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL – SPF 15 – THE BASICS
- The 15th annual Summer Playwrights Festival will take place with staged readings over the course of ten days from July 12th to July 21st, 2024 at The Road Mainstage on Magnolia Blvd in North Hollywood, California.
- One of the largest staged reading festivals in the nation, SPF hosts a diverse gathering of playwrights from across the country and around the world.
- The Road’s Los Angeles location means we are able to cast our readings with a talented pool of professional actors. Casting adheres to the gender, race and other specifications of the playwright.
- SPF stage readings are performed under the guidance of talented directors. Each staged reading has a number of rehearsals. In the spirit of collaboration playwrights are welcome to attend rehearsals of their play either in person or on Zoom.
- SPF readings attract full houses of theatre savvy audiences including many artistic directors from other theatre companies eager to find challenging new works.
- Every performance is followed by a moderator led talkback with the playwright and director.
- We receive hundreds of submissions for SPF and we welcome all, whether established/published authors or first time playwrights.
- The first round of readers who submit their recommendations will not know the identity of the playwright. However, our Artistic Board and SPF Producers will have all the information you provide us in the submission form and will take factors such as race, gender and other identifiers into consideration when programming the festival.
- Our goal is to create a festival that welcomes all voices.
ALUMNI – SPF PLAYWRIGHTS AND GUEST ARTISTS
- PLAYWRIGHTS: John Patrick Shanley, Lisa Loomer, Mo Gaffney, Franky D. Gonzalez, Steve Yockey, William Mastrosimone, Harrison David Rivers, Jami Brandli, Lisa B. Thompson,, D.L. Coburn, Sharr White, Marisa Wegrzyn, Craig Wright, Wendy Macleod, Lucy Thurber,, Keith Huff, Brett Neveu, Scooter Pietsch, Craig Pospisil, Julie Marie Myatt and Martyna Majok.
- GUEST ARTISTS: Bryan Cranston, Laurie Metcalf, Jason Alexander, Zachary Quinto, Ann Cusack, Kathy Baker, Jennifer Tilly, Perry King, Rondi Reed, Tom Irwin, Nancy Travis, Gregory Harrison, Gale Harold, Robert Pine, Michael O’Neill, Harold Gould, Jon Polito, James Eckhouse, Lila Crawford, Zoe Perry and many others
- We will accept submissions for SPF 15 between 12:01 am on Tuesday, January 2, 2024 through Thursday, February 15th 11:59 pm. We cannot accept any plays past this deadline, so please plan accordingly.
- Official SPF 15 selections will be announced by June 1, 2024.
- Submission Fee – $20 for scripts over 30 pages (full length) and $15 for scripts under 30 pages (short form).